April 6, 2016

Spring Break Recap

So, the kids were off school last week, and Andrew took the week off, partially to hang out with us, partially to go turkey hunting.  We had a good mix of doing stuff and doing nothing.

Thing Two's hectic couple of months caught up to her, and she was sick for the first few days, so only Thing One and I headed up to Sonoma on Easter, had dinner, and spent the night.  Once we got home, all four of us hit the theater to see "Zootopia".  THUMBS UP on this movie (even Andrew, who is so hard to please).  The message was a little heavy-handed, but the movie was really funny and definitely better than I had anticipated. Afterwards, I attempted to surprise Andrew with a kid-free night at a local hotel, but gmail ruined my surprise by seeing the reservation confirmation email and automatically putting it in our Google calendar.  Thanks, Google!  (We had a nice, relaxing time and a great dinner at Copper Chimney, though.)

Tuesday, our favorite Brits (and their local family, our good friends) came over for the annual barbecue at our house.  Much lamb was eaten, many hearty laughs were had - a good time was had by all.  We had too much fun to remember to get pictures of anything other than the cake, which was declared by one teenager to be "Easter in one picture".



Wednesday, on his first day out, Andrew got a turkey!  That evening, I went with a large crowd of women from church to see "Miracles From Heaven".  It was good, but not great.  I don't regret seeing it, but I would have preferred to pay the matinee price or wait for Netflix.  It wasn't as cheesy as I had assumed it would be, so I enjoyed it more than I had expected to.

Thursday, Thing Two and I hopped on BART and trekked over to Berkeley to spend the afternoon on and around the Cal campus.  We didn't see The Bubble Lady or Orange Man or Naked Guy, but we had a ball, and Thing Two was even more inspired about possibly going to school there one day (she says the campus is "friendlier" than the Stanford campus).  Her other reasons for going were to take pictures with her new camera and to buy a Cal sweatshirt.  Both these were accomplished, so the day was considered a success, even though she didn't want to eat at Blondie's (she did get something from Yogurt Park, though).  While I was thrilled to see that King Pin is still in business, I was proud of myself for not getting one of their precious buttermilk donuts.  No turkey Thursday.





Friday, April came with a minimum of  FOOLish shenanigans.  No turkey, but Andrew got to reconnect with his hunting buddy Pat, so it was a day well spent.

Saturday, after one last bout of sleeping in, we headed over to Hercules to celebrate our twin nephews' eleventh birthday.  Hard to believe these guys are in the fifth grade!  Wasn't it just yesterday that we were sitting in Children's Hospital while one of them was getting stomach surgery as a newborn??

Sunday, Crazy Teacher Andrew and Teacher Erica returned to teaching the 4-K class at church.  A couple of my little buddies happened not to be there that day, but we had a great time.  I wonder how long it will be before one of the little girls asks me to braid Andrew's beard for them, LOL?

Oh, and because of our overnighter, I took Tuesday off from Crafty Chat, but here's the link for that week's YouTube video.  I don't think did any more than a little bit of car knitting on the never-ending socks, but I spindle spun. A lot.

Why, yes, those ARE bendy straws holding
my singles between the spindle and getting
wound onto storage bobbins.

No comments:

Post a Comment